Most of these businesses have disappeared into the pages of history.A few has endured but names and ownership over the years have changed.Mortons dentist office, Jims Place and Alexander Lumber Company.
Assisting with the crowning were the ACCHS Cheerleaders and Student Council members, and announcer, Mr. The start of the city of Effingham, according to Tolli Courtney who wrote The First Hundred Years of Effingham, was when Wm. The company was incorporated in 1859 and authorized to construct a railroad from Atchison to the western boundary of the territory in the direction of Pikes Peak. One of the major changes is that the trains chugging through town daily for over a hundred years ceased running.
Osborne, who had built the first hundred miles of Central Branch Railroad, first platted the city, April 4, 1868. The railroad had brought the early pioneers and settlers.
Today you can still hear the merry go round music in August, attend the parade, meet friends on the fairground, see the 4-H projects including their livestock and eat at the 4-H Stand, the Union Church Stand and have ice cream at the Dairy Stand.
birthday the city had four churches, the Presbyterian, St.
Anns Catholic Church, the Christian Church and the Methodist Church. Anns and the Effingham Union Church, which was formed when the Presbyterians and Methodists united.