Now, it is true that one of the Synology Disk Stations I was updating had bonded network interfaces, but that was also the one that fixed itself faster.True, I was updating to DSM 6.0 so perhaps the fix was already being applied at that point too.
Speaking of Google, Synology recommends using their DNS server address as the “Preferred DNS Server,” so you should make your system look like this: . When I updated my two boxes, I had very different reactions from them. What was even stranger was that on one of the boxes, I did not have to remove the IPv6 setting for it to work – a simple restart after fixing the default gateway and DNS server gave me complete connectivity. I tried using Synology’s Quick Connect, and it didn’t work either. I was able to turn on the NTP server (that’s the service that lets the Synology know what time it is, according to the US Government’s NIST time servers). However, the DSM update continued to give me that error.
Then, about 5 minutes later, the DSM update was giving me what I needed to see: My best guess is that the time it took for the routing tables to be updated took far longer than either the DSM user interface or my patience expected.
The device that I have been using as an example, however, only had one network interface so there was no link aggregation (or “bonding”) going on.
Even so, after I run the backup tests in a mixed DSM 5.2/6.0 environment, I’ll be needing to update this box to 6.0, so I’m fully expecting to need to refer back to this blog again if/when I lose network connectivity!
In any case, I hope that this is somewhat helpful to people (including myself).