The official ground breaking ceremony took place on December 21, 1921 with work being completed in just over 16 months, on May 1, 1923.
Designed by John and Donald Parkinson, the original bowl's initial construction costs were $954,873.
The large analog clock and thermometer over the office windows at either end of the peristyle were installed in 1955.
In the mid-and late 1950s the press box was renovated and the "Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum" lettering and Olympic rings, lighted at night, were added to the eastern face of the peristyle tower.
The project, which is solely funded by the University, is scheduled to be completed by the 2019 football season and is the first major upgrade of the stadium in twenty years.